FIGIS is designed according to guiding principles:
- to promote policy change towards the sustainable development of the world's fishery resources by highlighting major issues, presenting possible solutions and providing the best scientific information available;
- to offer a single and unique entry point to an integrated system comprising strategic data, information, analyses and reviews of issues and trends on a broad range of fisheries subjects;
- to provide integrated, quality-controlled, harmonized, streamlined and comprehensive information.
FIGIS is an information management tool that interconnects groups of institutional partnerships to build up a network of subsystems. FIGIS, as part of the FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Department's regular activities acts as a framework with reference to FAO information management policy. FIGIS delivers expert knowledge, a set of software tools, collaborative mechanisms, and interoperability solutions to a broad range of needs in fisheries information.
FIGIS in particular provides the engine powering the various information components requested by the Strategy for Improving Information for Status and Trends of Capture Fisheries (Strategy-STF):
- the Fishery Resources Monitoring System (FIRMS), a global aquatic resource monitoring system comprising core information domains on stocks, resources, fisheries and fisheries management systems;
- the Fishcode-STF Web site as repository of the inventories of fisheries, resources and description of national statistical systems; and,
- the Fishery statistical working system which facilitates the collation of global fishery statistics.
FIGIS also powers:
- the new FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Department Web site, and
- the General Fisheries Commission for the Mediterranean (GFCM) site.
FIGIS has established or plans to establish interoperability bridges with other systems like:
- ASFA, the Aquatic Sciences and Fisheries Abstract, a bibliographical database;
- SIPAM on aquaculture in the Mediterranean;
- Globefish (containing information on international fish trade); and,
- OBIS, the Ocean Biogeographic Information System.
The Fact Sheet
The Fact Sheet, a fundamental FIGIS product, is a synthesis of information enhanced by graphics.
Reached through the FIGIS Web site gateway pages, Fact Sheets are tailored to represent the various characteristics within each broad fishery subject such as species, technology, marine resources and issues.
The best and most authorative sources on any given topic are used to produce Fact Sheets. The technology allows the user to access the most up-to-date information available. The Fact Sheets also include a rich resource in statistics, maps and graphics.